Thursday, November 24, 2005

A California Thanksgiving

I wasn't sure how to feel about spending Thanksgiving in CA. I have spent every Thanksgiving with my immediate family in Richmond, VA before today. I was assured that I would be home in a few weeks anyways in time to celebrate Christmas, but there still was a part of me that wanted to be in Richmond.
I had three Thanksgiving celebrations at Fuller. The first was at my neighbor's apartment--an incredibly random group of students from Fuller. The neighbors hadn't ever made Thanksgiving before so it was fun to test out their food--very yummy!
The second Thanksgiving feast was at my work. I orginally wasn't going to make it because of class, but I got out early just in time to hear the "I am Thanksful for..." Cheesy as the game may be, it was really cool to hear what people said and think about what I was thankful for.
Finally today--on Thanksgiving I had feast #3. And it was a feast. The Presbyterian Student Group on campus had 25 people over to have Thanksgiving lunch together. At 5:30pm last night I went over to the professor's house we were eating at to help cook. My tasks were cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes. Well..cooking a full Thanksgiving meal for 25 people is A LOT. And for 5 people who haven't ever cooked that extravagant of a meal for that large of a number of people-we were in for a surprise. At 3am, after cooking 36 regular potatoes, 2 apple pies, 3 batches of cranberry sauce, and many more dishes--we were all spent. The lesson of the night: when cooking sweet potatoes, know they can bubble over and explode in an oven... hehe oops. After cooking till 3am, I came home, woke back up at 8:20am and cooked until 1pm. The feast was ready and everyone came and was hungry. And it was so much fun!! We sat around and talked, ate, watched football, shared stories...good times. And now at 9:30pm I am totally exhausted...major props to all of you who cook big meals--I appreciate you in a whole new way!
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

The mess in the oven...oops.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm posting a comment because I LOVE JENN MOORE!!! :) And because now I have yet another blogger to stalk. Miss you, Bob, can't wait to see you over Christmas!

Jenn Cannon said...

Jenn Moore! I found you! Crazy fun pictures of the silly Presby group... and Thanksgiving was amazing. I'm so glad that your first one away from home was such a good memory!!

*hugs*

-jenn

Sarah Kennedy said...

Why are you posting on my blog while you're supposed to be in class?! Are you not paying attention to your wonderful and fabulous professor?! Shocking! I love you friend, thanks for a fun dinner tonight!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn~ Glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving in CA. I've been enjoying reading your blog. I might make one when I go to Melbourne next semester - I'll keep you posted on that! :)

~Kelly

Anonymous said...

Yay for fun Thanksgivings! I only got two Thanksgiving dinners, and one was dhall, so hmm, you may have been better off than I. Nice picture of the oven. I always knew you were a smart one ; )

Yay, cooking meals for big groups of people is crazy. Maybe you even appreciate more that IV Valentine meal that was for like 50 people. Good times

Have fun preparing for Christmas!