Friday, February 03, 2006

To what town did Naomi and Ruth return from Moab?

That is question #21 from the 2006 Bible Content Exam. Today Presbyterians everywhere in the ordination process for the PC(USA) church took a 100 multiple choice test on the content of the Bible. In order to pass the Bible Content Exam (needed for ordination) a score of 70% is required. Filled with questions that many call "Sunday School trivia" the test questions ranged from very well known basic facts of the Bible to obscure details... I'm not sure what the pass/fail rate is but I do know a good number of people who passed on their first try and a good number of people who failed on their first try... So we'll see!
The Bible Content Exam is only the beginning in the ordination process for the PC (USA) church. Only been a part of the PC(USA) church for a year and a half I'm learning everyday about new policies and requirements for the ordination process. However from what I know so far from the fabulous Presby community at Fuller, the process requires the passing of several intense ordination exams (from an exgetical exam to Presbyterian sacraments exam), a 10 week long internship as a chaplain at a hospital, a field education requirement (internship at a church most likely), several required classes in addition to the general MDiv degree requirements, psychological testing, the passing of the Bible Content Exam, and lots and lots of meetings and paperwork with your Presbytery (the organization of Presbyterian churches in a geographical region that you go "under care" with--it has been said that the US govt. is based off the Presbyterian church if that helps). I know there's more that I'm forgetting! It sounds like a lot (and from what I've seen it is a lot) but it is an interesting and useful (well most of the time it seems) process to both learn about yourself and discern your call as you prepare to go into ministry as well for the Presbyterian church to screen potential new ministers. So who knows what the next 3 years will bring--but as of right now that's a little bit of what's going to be going on in my life. Oh and I don't know the answer to the question in my title...sorry! If you do know then please let me know, and you will get a gold star:)
Haha, hope everyone is doing well! And I know y'all read my blog because you tell me you do, but please comment! Thanks, much love to all--miss y'all East Coasters!

1 comment:

Jenn Cannon said...

Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh! Pick me, pick me!! [In my best Hermione voice!]
I know the answer to this question! And we talked about how COOL this is...

They returned to Bethlehem!! Which is cool because the son that Ruth bore was Obed, father of Jesse who was father of David...

The returned to the town, so that the line of David could be established there, so that when, years later, Caesar would call for a census - Mary and Joseph would come HERE... to Bethlehem.

So cool - it's part of the "prequel" to the birth of Jesus!!

[I think seminary is turning me into a bigger geek than when I started!!]