Monday, June 19, 2006

Buber Strikes Again

I can hardly believe it--but as two weeks ago I am done with my first year of seminary! Technically I still have to take summer classes but if I continue full time with classes I will graduate in exactly two years. After such a hard quarter I had to mark that occasion.

Spring quarter was my toughest academic load yet. I have already blogged about the frustrations and joys of Greek. What I haven't blogged about are my other two classes. My other classes Spring Quarter were Medieval Reformation Theology with John Thompson and Christ and Culture with President Mouw.

I think they can both be summed up by saying..."Buber strikes again." On my post about Greek an anonymous commenter saw an I-Thou moment. An I-Thou moment is from the philosopher Martin Buber...said simply--a moment of connection or an "ah-ha" moment.

Both classes were taught by Presbyterian professors (one of which is our president). In my church history class I had the chance to read some of the original works of Reformers. I was particularly interested in reading Calvin since I am in the Presbyterian denomination. As I struggled to make sense of Calvin's writing in my church history class, I was able to hear President Mouw share his views on Calvinism and stories of application of Calvinism in the world today in my philosophy class.

Late at night as I formed arguments for Calvin's doctrines for a paper assignment I was hit with an I-Thou moment. I actually believed and agreed with what I was writing! Coming to Fuller I was unsure of my theology. I definitely don't claim to have all the answers now--but I realized that from the basics of what I have learned about Calvin in the last 10 weeks I had come to agree with--even love some of how Calvin explains life.

I know that my theology will continue to be changed and shaped as time goes on but for now I'm going to steal a quote off our Fuller Presbyterian Tshirt and say..."Calvin is a stud." :)

No comments: