Monday, July 03, 2006

A tribute to otter pops

Ok so my whole blog isn't about otter pops. Instead I want to give y'all a taste of my summer so far...

* Two words: otter pops. It is HOT in Southern CA during the summer. I looked forward to a non-humidy filled summer for so long...but I'm not sure if dry heat is much better. It has been in the upper 90s to 100s for the last 2 or 3 weeks--every day. Living in an unairconditioned apartment I'm experiencing the heat in a very real way--I'm learning where there are free airconditioned places around Pasadena...I'm learning to not leave chocolate out--it will melt...and I'm learning the amazingness of otter pops. Those little plastic covered sticks of fake fruit tasting ice can bring so much relief in a matter of minutes. And the best part--they are cheap and you can buy them in bulk...thus I have over 100 otter pops in my freezer:)

* Two more words: Fuller hospitality. A neighbor knocked on my door a few weeks ago. Being from a different country he and I never exchanged more than waves and smiles because of a language barrier. That day he stood outside my door holding a large airconditioning unit. He thrust it toward me and mentioned the words "moving to Canada"...and "free for you." After a couple of minutes I realized he wanted to give me an A/C unit that was worth $100's of dollars. I energetically said yes and I now have air conditioning in my bedroom. So while otter pops are great--air conditioning is even better! Praise God for hospitality.

* Presby Moving and Organization Company. No we didn't start a business--but we could! In the last 3 weeks a group of Presby students have moved out 4 different friends and reorganized the garage of another friend. We have gotten the logistics of moving down--which vehicles fit futons best, how to hold elevators the longest, and are box taping experts. All joking aside--it is a really cool picture of community to as numbers of friends have come out and supported whoever is moving that day. Moving is a hard and stressful process but with good friends it's a bit easier.

* Intensives. Two weeks ago I began my first five week section of summer intensives. I have never taken summer classes before--so it has been an adjustment to think of summer as a time to do homework. I am in Pentateuch and Exegetical Methods (a class to show me how to use my Greek skills). Both classes have amazing professors and even more amazing subject matter. It's going to be a summer of studying but I'm excited about what I'm going to learn.

* Playtime. While my classes require hours of homework during the day...I'm still making sure to have some fun this summer too. Exciting things so far have included...several BBQs, a trip to Santa Monica beach, reading the Da Vinci Code (more to go), organizing my filing cabinet (that is fun for me!) and pool parties. Who knows what the summer will bring but I'm enjoying this pace of life.

I hope that you all stay cool wherever you are--and remember--try an otter pop:)

No comments: