Monday, March 05, 2007

"And time is in his hands"

I was struck in Presbyterian chapel by this line of Chris Tomlin's How Great is our God. As we praised God as a group--proclaiming God's greatness, we specifically praised God for his timing. I had to stop singing for a second and reflect--did I really mean that?

This quarter it seems like I've had quite a lesson in patience. My questions about the future, relationships, healing, and life in general, all seemed to ask the question of when. I struggle to to be patient and wait for things to be resolved, for God to reveal to my specific calling to me, and for the season of healing to end. If I had my way--God would reveal everything right away.

Yet as I reflect on the line from this song--I have to say yes that yes, I do mean it. God's timing has proven again and again in my life--and others lives as well--to be SO much better than what we could dream up or imagine. Whether it's tangible things such as jobs or apartments or bigger things such as future plans or relationships--God has always given me something greater than my original plan. So praise our great God--that "time is in his hands"

1 comment:

daedalus1898 said...

A little story. Back in June, it was confirmed that I was done with my mission in Lebanon, and that I would be coming home for good at the end of July. I was pretty devastated, especially since I felt as though I was just getting in the groove with my work. Then, to reinforce a bad feeling, the war started, and I was forced out of Syria. I could think, "Why God? Why NOW? I'm not ready!!"

Now I realize why. I got to spend some really quality time with my Dad this past fall. That, and seminary became a reality as well. If this was about my timing, I'd still be in Lebanon, and not writing this post because I would have never met you, Pocket.

This is what putting your life in God's hands will do for you - like you said, bigger and better things than we could ever imagine!!