Sunday, August 13, 2006

A great listen, read and watch

Over the last couple weeks I have been privileged to come across some powerful words in three different types of media. I figured I'd share a little of what I'd learned and recommend a good listen, read, and watch. Enjoy:)

First, I was introduced to a great band back in December--Casting Crowns. My friend Kristen gave me one of their CDs to listen to over Christmas break but I didn't actually listen to it until about March. Since hearing it for the first time I have been struck powerfully by almost every song on their two CDs. Casting Crowns is a Christian group with an acoustic sound. What really strikes me about them is their lyrics. There is much truth and lessons in them. The lyrics are simple but with powerful messages. Check out the chorus from If We are the Body:

"But if we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching?
Why aren't His hands healing?
Why aren't His words teaching?
And if we are the body
Why aren't His feet going?
Why is His love not showing them there is a way?
There is a way."

I traveled last weekend to central Cali (first big road trip for the Focus and it did great!) to see Casting Crowns in concert. It was a great concert of worship.

Second, NOOMA. Rob Bell is a Fuller alum (go Fuller) who pastors a huge church in Michigan. He speaks in a DVD series called NOOMA. NOOMA is Greek for Spirit. The DVDs are about 15 minutes each and speak on a whole range of topics. My favorite DVD is called "Bullhorn." I wanted to post a quote from it but couldn't find it. Here's a quote from a DVD called "Kickball:"

"We always think we know what's missing from our lives in order to really make us happy, don't we? If only I had that car, or that job, or if only I could lose those 15 lbs, then I'd be happy. Really? How often do we want something only to find out that it wasn't that great after all? Sometimes we ask God for things and if he doesn't deliver right away, we start questioning whether God really understands or even cares. Do we really trust God? Do we trust that God is good and sees a bigger picture than we ever could? It's easy to want what's right in front of us, but maybe God knows what's better for us, and sometimes we just can't see it."

Rob Bell teaches this lesson by taking the audience through a trip to the mall with his toddler son. His kid really wants a bouncy ball from a stand at the mall. Bell instead buys him a bright red kickball. The gist of the lesson--God gives us what we need and not always what we want. Rob Bell preaches in a way that I've heard few preach. Anyways I can't do them justice--check out the website: www.nooma.com

Third, Life of the Beloved by Henri Nouwen. Nouwen originally wrote this book to a Jewish friend who asked him to write about spiritual direction to secular people. In the end Nouwen acknowledges that it is a book for Christians as much as non-Christians despite his intended audience. It's a great narrative and thoughts on how to really live as the beloved child of God. What does that mean? How can that truth infiltrate every action of our lives? If you have read You are Special by Max Lucado (another great book) it's like that--except not written for kids. So check that out too:)

I hope y'all enjoyed my plugs and if you ever have any recommendations do share.

No comments: