Sunday, August 12, 2007

Walking the Tightrope

Yesterday I went business suit shopping. My experience business suit shopping was a disaster. I went in and out of almost every women's clothing store in the Santa Anita mall to find the same situation--no suits at an affordable price to fit my body. I gave up and went to Ann Taylor Loft the next day to find that the first suit I tried on--fit!

My first experience wearing a business suit was awkward. I felt a bit out of place in my own clothes--too professional and formal for my own comfort. The second time I wore my suit I felt a bit more myself. And the third time I wore my suit I found myself even liking my clothes. So yesterday, I tried the business suit shopping again. It took less than an hour to find two suits. I knew what I needed, knew how they would fit, and even got excited at the thought of having to wear a business suit every day! I realized that I've become more comfortable at thinking of myself as a professional and dressing like one...

My friends and I talk a lot about what makes someone an adult. In my youth ministry classes we learn about the "tightrope" of adolescence. And developmentally, one does not leave that tightrope until at least age 25. But really, what constitutes being an adult? Is it being comfortable in wearing a business suit? Is it being married? Or having kids? How about having a career you love? Is it being completely financially independent? I can name a person that fits each of those descriptions but isn't what I consider an adult. I don't really have an answer to my question...I guess it's just something that happens organically. Whatever it is, I know that I'm still learning about who I am, and hopefully one day I'll get off the tightrope. Until then, I'm going to continue to enjoy the journey.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I feel really uncomfortable and not "me" when I wear a suit blazer. I enjoy wearing suit pants or a suit skirt. But that blazer...